Monday, September 13, 2010

Granola!

I made granola! I made granola!!

The granola at Kripalu is LEGENDARY. During my month-long teacher training I ate it almost every single morning with organic yogurt. It was SO perfect after our 90 minute morning yoga practice, especially if that practice was particularly vigorous. In fact, I specifically remember very sweaty morning classes with Jovinna, Danny and Roger during which the only thing getting me through the class was the promise of granola. I'd be hovering in plank for what seemed like an eternity, watching the sweat drip onto my mat below me, and just think "granola-granola-granola-granola" over and over and over again. Ha!

I have been craving Kripalu granola ever since leaving the Berkshires two weeks ago, and today I found a few different recipes online claiming to be THE Kripalu granola. After reading them (and doing some general granola research) and coming to terms with what I could get at the local grocery store (i.e. NOT rye flakes or barley malt) I sort of made up my own recipe. It's not EXACTLY like that magical Kripalu granola, but it IS very delicious!!! Now that I have the granola-bug, though, I think I'm going to be doing a LOT of granola experiments.

So this is what I did today, in case you, too, are in the mood for some delicious granola!!

Mix together in large bowl:
9 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup flax seeds
2 cups shredded cocount
2 cups sunflower seeds
1 cup sesame seeds
2 cups chopped almonds
(set aside)

Combine in saucepan:
2/3 cups canola oil
1 & 1/3 cup maple syrup
(warm on medium heat for a couple of minutes)

Remove from heat and add:
1 tbs vanilla extract
1 tbs almond extract
1/4 tea maple extract
1 tea salt


Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture in two stages, combining well after each addition.

Spread the mixture onto two large baking sheets and press down with a spatula (or, let's be honest, your hands.)

Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Unless you have a huge oven, you'll have to use two racks; I switched the position of the sheets in the oven after 20 minutes so they would bake evenly.

Cool for 30 minutes (the granola will harden and darken as it cools!) Break up, add raisins, and store in an air-tight container.

Serve with yogurt (I'm partial to Seven Stars Farm which you can usually find at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods) or milk or just snack on it dry!! Be careful, though. All those nuts and seeds means a little goes a long way, but it tastes so good that you may end up REALLY FULL before you know it. =) This is a powerhouse food!!

YUM!!

8 comments:

  1. This looks amazing, and I love that you used granola as your mantra to get through plank. When I do that, my chanting is a lot less G-rated!!! Anyway, my mom has a great recipe for granola that sounds pretty similar. I will dig up the recipe for you...we gave it away for Christmas gifts when I was a kid. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm, I think you need to bring a sample over tomorrow night!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've inspired me! I'm not really crazy about maple syrup (I know, weird huh). I found a recipe that uses honey I am going to try: http://healthbeginswithmom.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-make-soaked-granola.html

    I love your idea to add flax seed and almond extract though;) Also, if you are feeling really spunky you can make your own yogurt. I found a recipe for it here: http://www.makeyourownyogurt.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMMM...This is baking in my oven as I write this! I LOVE Kripalu's granola and had a craving for it but don't have things like rye flakes or barley malt on hand (nor am I even sure where to look for them.) So, I was glad to find this recipe. Even the unbaked bites I took while mixing it were good! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much, Kathy! That's wonderful to hear. I hope it turned out well! I haven't had granola in awhile...I need to make some! I'm thinking about trying coconut oil instead of canola - both because word on the street is that coconut oil is really good for you, but also because I bet it would taste GREAT. Hope to hear from you again soon!

      Delete
  5. Useful info. Hope to see more good posts in the future.
    long grain rice brands

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really good read for me. Must agree that you are one of the coolest blogger I ever saw. Thanks for posting this useful information. This was just what I was on looking for. I'll come back to this blog for sure!
    natural sultana raisins

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very useful info. Hope to see more posts soon!
    dried pitted dates

    ReplyDelete