Thursday, March 17, 2011

A love affair with vegetables...

The title of the cookbook I will one day write will somehow encompass this idea. My food-life feels like a love affair with vegetables, a torrid, steamy, passionate affair with one after another after another. Right now, it's all about cabbage. So I decided to do a quick search on all things cabbage.

There is a LOT to know about cabbage! For starters, did you know that cabbage has significant amounts of glutamine, an amino acid that has anti-inflammatory properties, and that it is also a source of indole-3-carbinol, a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and appears to block the growth of cancer cells (according to the studies cited on Wikipedia!)????

Here's to more cabbage!! 

1 comment:

  1. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

    Unfortunately, Lauren is not a big fan of cabbage. I like it--or would like to like it--because I know that it's good for me. Also: I'm a fan of sauerkraut but, again, Lauren isn't. ::sigh::

    For me, vegetables have always been a struggle. I grew up on meat and potatoes, so vegetables seem to reside in a foreign land to me. Unless I'm actually cooking a vegetarian meal--which I do more and more often these days--the meals I make always seem to be vegetable deficient.

    Also, whenever I go to the grocer or a farmer's market with the best of intentions and buy vegetables... some of them always seem to end up neglected in my fridge or on my counter top, and go bad.

    ReplyDelete